Friday, January 29, 2010

Today I made my baby do chores

I was feeling tired today and felt it was about time Quinn started to pull his weight around here. So I had him empty the dishwasher, do the laundry and vacuum.


So not really, but I have been trying to include Quinn in more of what I do around the house. Ya know, when I actually do decide to try to do something around here. I am always so tempted to wait until he is asleep to do things. I am one of those people that likes tackling really big jobs all at once. For example when I clean the kitchen I don't like to just wipe down the counters and do the dishes etc. I also like to scrub the stove, including under the rings, clean all the doors, wipe down the tile on the back splash, sweep, mop, clean out the fridge...you get the picture. And that really isn't practical. I have been trying to find a balance between daily maintaining all the little things and then occasionally tackling something bigger. Plus, he is down to one nap a day and so I don't have a whole lot of time when he is actually sleeping. AND its good to start teaching him how to help out.


Anyways, it has been fun to see how Quinn really watches what I do and how he has been picking up on things. I spilt something on the floor the other day, so I grabbed a rag to wipe it up and there was Quinn right next to me wiping the floor with another towel.


And chores are so much more fun when you are doing them with your little guy. Its fun to teach him how to unload the dishwasher and to coax him into actually putting things into the cupboards instead of pulling them out. Today we had a big bag of laundry and I didn't feel like carrying it so I pulled it along the hallway and Quinn chased after it giggling. When we got back from the putting the laundry in I spilt some of our laundry soap on the floor. Thankfully it was the powdered kind but that stuff is tricky to get up. I tried regularly vacuuming it but that didn't work so well so I pulled out the hose and started stabbing at the carpet. That didn't work so well so I went to get a different attachment. When I got back Quinn was sitting there stabbing at the floor with the hose just like I had been doing. Wow! Didn't know he had been watching me do that. So I stuck on the other attachment and we took turns cleaning up the mess. He's pretty darn good.


Maybe I'll spill something again later just so we can do it again....

No comments: